Best Joint Supplement for Dogs (Buying Guide)
There is no denying that most dogs need a joint supplement at some point in their lives. Whether their aches and pains are caused by old age, illness, or genetics, it is important to give them relieving solutions. The challenge arises when trying to choose the best brand of joint supplement. When faced with hundreds of brands to choose from, it is important to be informed on the whats and whys of buying a joint supplement.
Is a Joint Supplement Necessary for Dogs?
Yes. Most dogs will need a boost to prevent their bone cartilage from wearing out and causing pain. Illnesses like hip dysplasia are among the reasons for offering a joint supplement. In dogs, hip dysplasia is an abnormal formation of the hip socket. The result of this is crippling pain, lameness, and severe joint arthritis.
What’s worse, this condition is purely genetic and prevalent in certain dog breeds. This means that you have no control over whether your dog will suffer such pain. Owners of dogs that are predisposed to such conditions should offer a joint supplement as soon as the dog is old enough to take one. This is the best preventive measure.
These supplements also come in handy for old dogs whose bone cartilage is so worn out that the quality of their lives is affected. Although aging cannot be prevented or slowed down, there is a lot that can be done to help them feel better. A joint supplement performs multiple functions to help ailing dogs.
As the cartilage between joints wears thin, the pain dogs experience becomes worse. Any movement becomes a source of pain that can leave your dog whimpering for help.
Luckily, the ingredients in the best joint supplement for dogs with hip dysplasia will help to alleviate this pain. There is no reason for you to watch your pet suffer each time he takes a step when you have the option of medicating him and reducing his suffering.
Enhancing Quality of Life
Picture yourself lying in bed, immobilized by pain. You are unable to move or perform the simplest tasks without feeling the agonizing sensation of your joints rubbing against each other. This is exactly what dogs go through when their joints are affected by illness.
They are unable to get out of their kennel to eat or play. If a bowl is not placed close enough, they can go without food or water for the entire day. This makes their life quite miserable. Starting dogs on a joint supplement early enough prevents such misery. Despite having conditions, such as hip dysplasia and arthritis, dogs can enjoy their lives thanks to a joint supplement.
Joint pain is caused by worn-out cartilage, which exposes bones to friction. The friction can get so bad that dogs limp or refuse to walk. Dogs with joint pains prefer to lie in their bed all day, and this affects their health. They cannot exercise as much as required. Thanks to joint supplements, the pains are reduced, and this allows dogs to move as much as they should.
Improves Dogs Behavior
When dogs are in pain, they become irritable and agitated. They can display violent behavior because they are frustrated by the pain they feel. As a result, children and other pets may be in danger whenever the ailing dog is around. When the pain is alleviated by taking a joint supplement, the dogs feel better. Their mood changes and they become more obedient. Because they can go out, exercise and play, they release their energy and become more friendly pets.
Improves the Relationship between Dogs and Their Owners
Dogs are man’s best friend, but only when they are loved and cared for. Alleviating their pain and helping them live a more enjoyable life is one of the best ways to show them that you love and care for them. Once your dog knows that you will always take care of him, he will love you unconditionally.
Four Common Dog Joint Supplement Types
One of the most important factors to consider when purchasing a joint supplement for dogs is the ease of administration. Depending on your dog’s temperament and severity of the illness, you should choose the type that will be easy to take without much fuss. There are four main types of supplements to choose from:
These contain all required ingredients in liquid form. They are dispensed using a special dropper or syringe that is calibrated to help you give the right dosage. Most dog owners prefer them due to their ease of administration and their high absorbency rate. A liquid form ensures that dogs digest every ingredient.
These have powdered ingredients coated by a thin, digestible film that keeps everything compact. Because dogs do not chew everything thoroughly, there is a chance of the tablet being passed whole and undigested in the stool. They are also not easy to dispense, as you have to put them down the dog’s throat to prevent him from gagging.
These are easy to dispense, as one can mix it in with dog food and water. However, they must be highly flavored to make them palatable. The taste matters a lot to picky eaters because if the powder mix is tasteless, your dog might even refuse to eat his food.
Dog Chew Supplements
These are the most common type of joint supplements that dogs can have. They come flavored and are easy to offer as a treat. Over time, your dog will look forward to chewing on these. They are easy to dispense, as chewing them helps the dog bypass the gag reflex.
10 Ingredients Found in the Best Joint Supplement for Dogs
Not sure about which ingredients you should look out for when buying a joint supplement for dogs? Here are the ten most beneficial ones that the supplement you choose should have:
- Glucosamine is a vital component of healthy cartilage whose inclusion in supplements is required for boosting cartilage development and normalizing the fluid for joint lubrication. Although this compound occurs naturally in dog bones, it is depleted as the dog ages hence the need for supplementation.
- Chondroitin – This is a cartilage constituent that aids water retention and muscle elasticity. Its inclusion in supplements ensures that joints are always hydrated and prevents the wear and tear of the cartilage.
- MSM is a highly absorbent sulfur that prevents oxidation while reducing swelling and pain. It occurs in a small amount in clean, natural water. Its inclusion in supplements ensures that your dog’s pain is relieved.
- Cetyl M – This is a fatty acid derived from cows, mice, whales, and a few other animals. Although humans and dogs do not have this fatty acid, it is a great anti-inflammatory, immune booster, and pain reliever.
- Hyaluronic Acid – This is a cartilage component that has many shock absorber and lubricator properties. Over time, it is depleted from the joints and must be supplemented.
- Ascorbic Acid – This vitamin has antioxidant properties that slow down aging and promotes the absorption of other essential nutrients.
- Turmeric – This is a common spice that is known for its ability to stop swelling. It has a host of other benefits when included in a joint supplement. It serves as an antibiotic, antifungal and helps wounds to heal faster.
- Fibroblast – This is the connective tissue that builds bones, teeth, and muscles. Its inclusion is necessary for cartilage production and ensures healthy bones.
- Vitamin E – This is a strong antioxidant that also repairs damaged cells. Its inclusion is necessary for the production and protection of healthy cell membranes.
- AstraGin – This compound enhances the absorption of all the important constituents in a supplement. It is also important for helping the digestive system to take in nutrients from various foods.
Apart from these main ingredients, there are several considerations you should make when purchasing a joint repair supplement for your dog.
What components are in the supplement? Are the quantities of each component sufficient for your dog’s needs? Based on the advice given by your vet, you should know what ailment your dog is suffering from and the quantities of various nutrients that will help him feel better.
Ease of Use
How easy is it for you to administer the joint supplement? If the supplement is in liquid form, do you have a dropper or syringe? If it is in powder form, does it have an appealing flavor? Based on your pet’s temperament, you should buy the formulation that will be easy to give.
Are there any additional ingredients that make the joint supplement worth buying? Whether you are keen on a specific flavor or extract, you should read the list of components to confirm that whatever you are buying will serve you well.
Although you want the best joint supplement for dogs, you should stay within your budget to ensure that you can always afford the same brand of supplements. Keep in mind that cheap products might not always be the best choice as they might compromise on quality.
Final Take on the Best Joint Supplement for Dogs
A joint supplement guarantees a better quality of life for sick and aging dogs. It offers beneficial nutrients that relieve pain and boost cartilage health. Therefore, all owners should consider buying some.
Although the joint supplement made by Zesty Paws tops the list due to its formulation and affordable pricing, the other items reviewed in this best joint supplement for dogs reviews are also worth buying. Based on your pet’s temperament and your budget, you can settle on any of the other nine supplements in this review. Bear in mind that reducing joint pains in dogs not only improves the quality of their lives but also makes them well-behaved.