Do you live in a cold area? Or maybe you just want to make sure that you always have the option of keeping your canine warm when he sleeps? You may want to look into buying a heated bed for your dog, or possibly a self-heating option. Whatever the size of your pet, or your budget, there’ll be something out there to meet your needs and keep them comfortable and cozy even in chilly environments.
The Advantages of a Heated Pet Bed
A heated pet bed may seem like something of a gimmick, the kind of thing that only someone who severely babies their dogs may buy. If that’s your reasoning… by all means, do it, you and your dog will be happy with the purchase.
The more discerning individual, however, may find that there are plenty of advantages to be had with this small investment.
The most immediate advantage is that they’re great for particularly young or small dogs. If your puppy is prone to getting cold, a heated dog bed may be just the thing you’re looking for. They’re particularly useful when you have a canine that has both short hair and a small size, and your puppy will be to keep warm while he’s sleeping without having to be stacked with blankets.
Older dogs will also find that warmed dog beds can be quite therapeutic. Everyone knows that heat is great for aching joints, and with the proper dog bed your older friend will be able to sleep easily and happily throughout the night or even just get some relief during the day if they find themselves in pain.
You may also want to look into one if you live in a particularly cold area, dogs get cold just like we do and a heated bed is a great option for those who live in chillier areas of the world. Your dog will be happier and healthier if he has somewhere to lie down and elevate his temperature, making life easier for the both of you.
What am I looking for?
For something that seems like a novelty item, you’ll find that there’s a wide array of features that can make a heated dog bed better or worse for your situation. It’s important to keep all of these in mind when you make your purchase, and the best thing you can do is begin to ask yourself a few simple questions in order to be able to pinpoint what you need.
- How big is your dog? As with pretty much any item you purchase for your pets, the first thing to take into consideration is your dog’s size. If you find a bed that’s perfect for your furred companion, but they can’t fit into it, it’s not going to do you a lot of good.
- Indoor or Outdoor? Whether you’ll be using the bed indoors or outdoors should be another one of your initial considerations. Some of these heated beds will be able to withstand being outdoors while others will be strictly for use in the house.
- What does your dog like? If you’re buying a heated dog bed, you obviously care greatly about your dog’s comfort. They can come in a variety of configurations, so figure out what your dog likes. Do they sleep on a regular “pad” type of bed? Curl up in one with sides? Or do they prefer to sleep with a cover over their head? This may be the most important consideration after size, and if you think it through you’re sure to have a dog satisfied with its new thermal bed.
- Electric or Not? You’ll find that there’re a few varieties of self-heating dog beds. The highest quality and warmest are sure to be electric ones, especially those that offer a thermostat so you’ll be able to most accurately pinpoint your dog’s needs. However, there are also beds which feature thermo-reflective materials that will allow your dog’s body heat to reflect and gather upon itself, making them warm without raising your electricity bill.
- Is it washable? As we all know, electricity and water aren’t a good mix and dog beds tend to get pretty nasty after heavy use. You’ll probably want one that is either washable in general or that you can remove the electronics from when it comes time to clean it, especially if this is an indoor bed.
- Does it fit into my budget? Unfortunately, even for the most dedicated dog lover out there, money is frequently a bottleneck in purchasing accessories for our beloved animals. You’ll need to make sure that the price range is a good fit for your wallet as well.
Heated Dog Beds Reviews
For your reading pleasure, we’ve gathered together here several different thermal dog beds suitable for a wide range of situations and budgets. If you take a look over these while keeping the above in mind, you’re sure to find one with everything you’ll need to keep your dog warm and cozy in his new heated bed.