Many of us struggle to find time to walk our dogs daily, and sometimes inclement weather or the hours we’re working can prevent us from keeping our dog’s health up. If you find yourself in this situation, a dog treadmill may be exactly what you’re looking for in order to provide a daily walk while you go about your business. They’re great for those of us with busy lifestyles or hectic weather, and an added bonus to the house for the rest of us.
The 3 Best Dog Treadmills in 2020
Why a Treadmill For My Dog?
If you think that the idea sounds ridiculous, you’ll find that it’s actually more practical than you’d think. These devices can be a lifesaver in some situations, saving you time and keeping your dog healthy.
- Overweight Canines – If your dog is overweight, a treadmill is one of the best ways to ensure they maintain a regular exercise schedule and you can get your obese pet back into shape without having to extend your daily walks.
- Owners with Long Days – Let’s face it, some of us work a lot of hours and when we get home we’re just too tired to take our dogs for a walk. Your dog’s health doesn’t need to suffer because of this, though, a treadmill will let you walk your dog without leaving the house.
- High Energy Mutts – Dogs with a lot of energy can need some extra exercise to keep themselves from becoming destructive. With a treadmill, you can make sure they’re not going to get bored and partake of your delicious shoes and furniture.
- Unpredictable Weather – Whether it’s too hot, too cold, or just too wet it can sometimes be a real pain to take our pets for a walk. If you’re in an area with extreme weather conditions a dog treadmill is a great investment.
The GOPET PETRUN Treadmill is probably the best dog treadmill currently on the market. It’s easy to use, programmable, and even comes with a metal eyelet on the end to attach a toy and keep your dog motivated through their workout.
If you’re on a tighter budget, however, we’d recommend taking a look at the dogPACER Treadmill which isn’t quite as great on features but does come in at a lower price. It’s still a fully functional, easily used treadmill so take a look if you think the GOPET offering is out of range for your budget.
This treadmill really is the best product of its kind available. It can change inclines and run up to 10 miles per hour, a brisk pace for anyone but a greyhound. Its sturdy construction works pretty good for canines up to 176lbs. Moreover, this product is protected by a 24-month warranty.
The incline changing can be done quite easily, there are no tools required for this one. This will allow you to challenge different parts of your dog’s musculature and simulate a more natural environment for them as they get their daily exercise. It also features high walls to help your dog feel more secure during their time on it.
It also comes with a high frame allowing to fasten a leash to it and spare your hands. Tying the dog can be dangerous with some other treadmills except this one having the emergency-stop mechanism along with the leash clipping system.
If you’re looking for the best dog treadmill around, you need to look no further than this great product from GOPET PETRUN. It can be a bit pricey, but it’ll be quickly made up for with your dog’s enjoyment and improved health.
The dogPACER is a great option for those without the budget to spring for the best and still offers an amazing amount of value. You’ll be pleased to note that it also comes in three different sizes, so you can pick the one best suited to your own dog.
The coolest part about this treadmill is that it comes with built-in programs which can help you get started on a workout routine immediately. These settings are suitable for almost any dog, and will save you some time when it comes to getting the most out of the treadmill.
Like any quality dog treadmill, it also has some small walls for your pet’s psychological reassurance. It’ll also fold down easily to save you some floor space when it’s time to put it up for the day.
If you’re looking to get the most out of your dollar, the dogPACER treadmill is a great way to get started for a lower cost than you thought possible. With its pre-built settings your dog will never need to go without a walk again!
While not a treadmill in the strictest sense, the GoPet Treadwheel does offer some advantages, if you can convince your dog to use it.
The most basic of these is that it doesn’t require power to function. It’s essentially a giant hamster wheel which is suitable for small canines, and if you encourage them to use it properly they’ll be able to exercise anytime they want.
This has some advantages for really high-energy and small dogs like terriers since they might be inclined to run on it to relieve boredom. It’s not suitable for even moderately sized dogs, however.
The design and the thought process behind it are quite remarkable, but ultimately it’s a hit-or-miss item depending on your dog. Most small dogs will enjoy it with some creative training, but many might ignore it or even react badly if you close the doors on it while trying to train them.
If you’re willing to spend the time to train your dog to use it, and your canine is inclined to use it, however, it’s a great option for letting your dog exercise whenever they want.
What to Look For?
Much like any of the products we buy for our pets, there are a few key factors that we’ll need to consider while we’re shopping for a treadmill for our dogs. The most important of these are the following:
- Size – The size of the treadmill is a prime consideration, you’ll want to find something that your dog can fit on comfortably after all. For smaller dogs, you also don’t want something so large as to be intimidating.
- Programmability – Some of these will be able to simulate natural terrain, while others are stuck within a small realm or a fixed incline. You’ll also want to consider the speed so you’ll know how quick it can get going, particularly for more athletic canines.
- Walls – Walls are an important consideration to let your dog feel secure and keep them from running or falling off the sides if the treadmill’s speed gets to be too much.
- Price – As with anything else, the price is always a prime factor when it comes to deciding on a final product. You’ll want to find something which can fit your budget.
How to Make Your Dog Use the Treadmill – Video Guide
Treadmills really are a great option to help us with our dog’s energy levels. Whether the time, weather or your own physical condition prevents you from taking your dogs on the walks they so richly deserve and earnestly need, a treadmill designed for your pets is a great option to keep them active and healthy.
PIN FOR LATER!
Images credits: Amazon.com.