All the dogs are den animals by their ancestry. That’s why even indoor tiny breed pups like to rest in kennels reminding them of real caves. If you offer your buddy a comfy dog crate he would gladly learn where his place is and consider it his own space. In most cases, he would.
The other reason for getting an indoor dog kennel is your wish to keep your own bed, your sofas, and carpets clean. It’s not a secret that our furry friends leave their hair everywhere they like to spend time. There can even occur stains and bad odor in those places.
Eventually, your large canine may want to sleep in your bed, if he doesn’t have his own or dislikes it. Dogs often get used to sleeping with their human parents as puppies, the most stubborn ones of them have trouble with breaking this habit later on.
When you purchase a nice large dog crate, your pup will get a snug enclosed place for rest, which will be much easier for you to clean, than the entire house. Plus you will have your bed only for you again, and your visitors will be able to sit on the vacant tidy coach.
What to Look for When Choosing an Extra-Large Indoor Dog Crate
- Measure your dog carefully. You will want your canine to be able to stretch out his legs inside the crate. Then check the crate dimensions, don’t rely on size naming.
- Realize your exact necessities. Do you want to secure your larger dog inside to prevent it from damaging the house? Or do you need a comfy place for your dog to rest? Do you want the pet cage to be in tune with your room style? The type of dog crate depends on your aims.
- Remember about your pet’s individuality. There are super mighty mutts that can be held only inside the locked heavy duty metal crates. The lighter dog cages are more flimsy and get destroyed by an extra large and strong pup very quickly. Does your beloved terror tend to escape or grind a thing? Then don’t hope for the best and choose the toughest dog crate offered for sale.
- Think about the additional features of the crate, such as leak-proof bottom, bed included or not, dividers, cleanup options, etc.
- You will want to put a cushion or a mat into the dog crate, if not included. Check, if the manufacturer offers beds or pads for sale along with dog crates, they usually fit perfectly.
Our Picks for Each Category of Large Dog Crates for Inside
Some of our canine friends are aggressive chewers or just inherently naughty ones, thus they should be kept in special dog cages while their human companions are out. Left alone in the house they can show much worse behavior than in their parents’ presence. Things can get damaged and destroyed — all because the dog is bored or anxious. Or just has a destructive temper by nature. Even small dogs tend to do it sometimes, imagine the mess a large dog can make in your residence.
The way to avoid it is to buy your dog a cozy pet crate to let him stay there safely when you’re out. These cages must be tough enough to struggle strong muscles and chews of large dogs, like Rottweilers. Be sure, the furry dodger will try to break free. Thus, your choice for this case would be heavy duty dog crate.
The dog cage is a must for you if you have an escape artist. Take a look at the portable extra large dog crates for really massive runaways. Those heavy duty dog kennels have wheels and locks; moreover, they are even allowed to be taken aboard an airplane or ferry.
It’s always harder to find the appropriate dog kennel for a larger pup than for the small or middle breed one. We have reviewed the numerous inherently different items available from online sellers, and chosen the best dog crates for literally big canines. Here are our picks for each kind of large dog kennels.
Portable Dog Crate for Inside
When it comes to soft XL dog crates, there is not a wide range of them, contrary to small and medium-sized ones. These portable dog crates technically are carriers but indeed they are not intended for manual handling adult large breed pups in them. It’s really hard to imagine carrying the 100-lb doggo in such a canvas crate. Typically soft large dog kennels are used to keep the dog on the place and stop him from rambling around. Perfect for taking a furry buddy to a car ride, to the vet or groomer, on short vacation trips, picnics, etc.
In the back seat of the car, a portable dog crate serves as a pet safety seat, it can also be placed on the floor or in the trunk. While camping, a soft pet crate becomes the safe resting place for a pup giving his parents the ability to do other things.
There are two important things about this kind of large dog kennels: the dog should be already crate-trained and human supervision is required. In other words, these fabric crates are not of the restricting type of dog cages at all. If his will, any large pup can tear or chew it easily to get outside.